College of Atmospheric and Geographic Sciences
301 David L. Boren Boulevard
Appointments at the University of Oklahoma
Brandt Professor and Edith Kinney Gaylord Presidential Professor
Director, Center for Spatial Analysis
Geography, State University of New York at Buffalo, 1994
Primary Research Area
Representation of dynamic geographic phenomena in support of spatiotemporal query, analysis, and modeling:
- Process-based representation for geospatial data, including remotely sensed imagery, GIS data, and survey data;
- Geospatial knowledge representation, information query analysis, and information inference;
- Geospatial data mining and knowledge discovery to support high-level information computing and spatio-temporal analysis (such as events, processes, and change analysis).
Expertise and Research Interests
May's research interest is in temporal GIS, geographic representation, spatiotemporal information modeling, and applications of geographic information technologies to dynamic systems. Her research projects center on representation models, algorithms for spatiotemporal analysis, and understanding of dynamics in geographic phenomena, such as wildfires, rainstorms, air-pollution plumes, and behavior and activities in complex social systems. She explores multiple perspectives of dynamics, analyzes the drivers and outcomes of geographic dynamics, extracts spatiotemporal patterns and behavioral structures of dynamic systems, and draws insights into the system development and evolution to derive an integrated understanding, interpretation, and prediction of activities, events, and processes in dynamic geographic systems.
GEOG 2453 Computer Mapping
GEOG 3353, Cartography
GEOG 4230, Geomorphology
GEOG 5623, GIS Design
GEOG 6820 GIS Seminar
AGSC 4970, GIS and Mapping
GIS 4953, GIS Capstone Seminar
GIS 2453, Spatial Thinking and GIS Visualization
GIS 4653/5653, GIS and Spatial Programming
GIS 4453/5453, GIS And Spatial Analysis
GIS 4970/5970, Web GIS: Principles and Applications
Yuan, M. and K. Stewart. 2008. Computation and Visualization for the Understanding of Dynamics in Geographic Domains: A Research Agenda. CRC/Taylor and Francis.
Stewart K. and M. Yuan (eds.). 2008. Understanding Dynamics in Geographic Domains. CRC/Taylor and Francis.
Refereed Publications and Book Chapters
Yuan, M. and A. Nara. (Accepted). Space-time Analytics of Tracks for the Understanding of Patterns of Life. In Space-Time Integration in Geography and GIScience: Research Frontiers in the US and China, edited by Mei-Po Kwan, Douglas Richardson, Donggen Wang and Chenghu Zhou. Springer.
Yuan, M., J. McIntosh, G. De Lozier, and G. Foyd. (Accepted). GIS as a Narrative Generation Platform. In Spatial Narrative and Deep Mapping, edited by D. Bodenhamer, J. Corrigan, and T. Harris. Indiana University Purdue University Indianapolis Press.
Jung, C., C. H. Sun, M. Yuan. 2013. An Ontology-enabled Framework for a Geospatial Problem-Solving Environment. Computer, Environment, and Urban Systems. 38: 45-57.
Simons, James, May Yuan, Cristina Carollo, Maru Vega-Cendejas, Thomas Shirley, Maria L D Palomares, Peter Roopnarine, Luis Gerardo Abarca Arenas, Ana Ibanez Jeff Holmes, Cristina Mazza, Rachel Hertog, Dave Reed, and Jorrit Poelen. 2013. Building Fisheries Trophic Interaction Database for Management and Modeling Research In the Gulf of Mexico Large Marine Ecosystem. Bulletin of Marine Science. 89(1). http://dx.doi.org/10.5343/bms.2011.1130
Bothwell*, J. and M. Yuan. 2012. A Spatiotemporal GIS Framework Applied to the Analysis of Changes in Temperature Patterns. Transactions in GIS. Preprint online at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-9671.2012.01327.x/abstract
Yuan, M. and J. Bothwell*. 2012. Space-Time Analytics for Spatial Dynamics. In C. Rueckemann (ed.) Integrated Information and Computing Systems. IGI Global. Pp. 354-368.
Bacastow, T. S. Kalweit, and M. Yuan. Exploiting Social and Cyber Media for Activity Based Intelligence: Values and Challenges. (Accepted). USGIF Monograph Series #1: Challenges of Socio-Cultural Dynamics for Global Security.
Gawande, K., H. Jenkins-Smith, M. Yuan. 2012. The Long-Run Impact of Nuclear Waste Shipments on the Property Market: Evidence from Quasi Experiment. Journal of Environmental Economics. Preprint online at http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.bbr.2011.03.031
Bothwell*, J. and M. Yuan. 2011. A Kinematics-based GIS Methodology to Represent and Analyze Spatiotemporal Patterns of Precipitation Change. The Proceedings of the 19th ACM SIGSPATIAL International Conference on Advances in Geographic Information Systems (ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS 2011), pp. 152-161.
Bothwell*, J and M. Yuan. 2010. Apply Concepts of Fluid Kinematics to Represent Continuous Space-Time Fields in Temporal GIS. Annals of Geographic Information Science, 16(1): 27-41.
Plutar*, E. F., T. J. Cova, M. Yuan, and M. F. Goodchild. 2010. EDGIS: A dynamic GIS based on Space Time Point. International Journal of Geographic Information Science, 24(3):329-346.
Yuan, M. 2010. Mapping Text. In Spatial Humanities. Edited by David Bodenhamer, John Corrigan, and Trevor Harris. Indiana University Press. Pp. 109-123.
Kaspari, M. Yanoviak, S. Dudley, R. Yuan, M. And Clay, N. 2009. Sodium shortage as a constraint on the carbon cycle in an inland tropical rainforest. Proceeding of National Academy of Science, 106 (46): 19405-19409
Cheuk*, M. L. and M. Yuan. 2009. Assessing spatial uncertainty of LiDAR-derived building model: a case study in downtown Oklahoma City. Photogrammetry Engineering and Remote Sensing: 75(3): 257-270.
Yuan, M. 2009. Knowledge discovery of geographic dynamics in spatiotemporal data. In Geographic Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery (2ed) edited by H. Miller and J. Han. Pp. 347-366, CRC/Taylor and Francis.
Yuan, M. 2009. Challenges and critical issues for temporal GIS research and technologies. Handbook of Research on Geoinformatics. H. Karimi (ed.) IGI Global, Hershey, PA. USA. Pp. 144-153. DOI: 10.4018/978-1-59140-995-3.ch019
Basara*, H. G. and M. Yuan. 2008. Community health assessment using self-organizing maps and geographic information systems. International Journal of Health Geographics (http://www.ij-healthgeographics.com/content/7/1/67)
Myint, S., M. Yuan, R. S. Cerveny, and C. P. Giri. 2008. Comparison of remote sensing image processing techniques to identify tornado damage areas from Landsat TM data. Sensors, 8:1128-1156.
Myint, S., M. Yuan, R. S. Cerveny, and C. P. Giri. 2008. Categorizing Natural Disaster Damage Assessment Using Satellite-Based Geospatial Techniques: using Satellite-based Geospatial Techniques. Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences, 8: 707-719.
Madsen, H., Helene Carabin, Don Balolong, Veronica L. Tallo, Remigio Olveda, May Yuan, Stephen T. McGarvey, 2008. Prevalence of Schistosoma japonicum infection of Oncomelania quadrasi snail colonies in 50 irrigated and rain-fed villages of Samar Province, the Philippines. Acta Tropica 105: 235-241.
Yuan, M. 2007. Adding Time. Handbook of Geographic Information Science, J. Wilson and S. Fotheringham, editors, published by Blackwell Publishing. P. 169-184.
Goodchild, M. M. Yuan, and T. Cova. 2007. Towards a general theory of geographic representation in GIS. International Journal of Geographic Information Science; 21(3):239-260.
McIntosh*, J. and M. Yuan. 2005. A framework to enhance semantic flexibility for analysis of distributed phenomena. International Journal of Geographic Information Science, 19(10): 999-1018.
McIntosh*, J. and M. Yuan. 2005. Assessing similarity of geographic processes and events. Transactions in GIS. 9(2): 223-245.
Yuan, M. 2005. Beyond Mapping in GIS Applications to Environmental Analysis, The Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society 86(2): 167-180.
Yuan, M., D. M. Mark, M. J. Egenhofer, and D. J. Peuquet, 2004. Extensions to Geographic Representations. Chapter 5 in R. B. McMaster and E. L. Usery (eds.), A Research Agenda for Geographic Information Science, Boca Raton, Florida: CRC Press, 129-156.
Yuan, M., B. Buttenfield, M. Gehagen, H. Miller, 2004. Geospatial Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery. Chapter 14 in R. B. McMaster and E. L. Usery (eds.), A Research Agenda for Geographic Information Science, Boca Raton, Florida: CRC Press, 365-388.
Kaspari, M., P. S. Ward, and M. Yuan. 2004. Energy gradients and the geographic distribution of local ant diversity. Oecologia 104(3): 407-413.
Kaspari, M., M. Yuan and L. Alonso. 2003. Spatial Grain and the Cause of Regional Diversity Gradients in Ants. American Naturist. 16(3): 459-477.
Roth*, E. D. and M. Yuan, 2003 The Importance of Reporting the Geodetic Datum with Geographic Coordinates for Collection Localities and Natural History Observations. Herpetological Review 34(3): 195-197.
Yuan, M., M. Dickens-Micozzi, M. A. Magsig. 2002. Analysis of Tornado Damage Tracks on the May 3rd Tornado Outbreak Using High-Resolution Satellite Imagery and GIS. Weather and Forecasting, American Meteorological Society, 17:382-398.
Yuan, M. and J. McIntosh. 2002. A Typology of Spatiotemporal Information Queries. Mining Spatiotemporal Information Systems. K. Shaw, R. Ladner, and M. Abdelguerfi (eds.). Kuwer Academic Publishers. PP. 63-82.
Yuan, M. and C. E. Duchon, 2001. Estimation of Daily Area-Average Rainfall in Central Florida Using Kriging and Arithmetic Averaging. Physical Geography, 22, 1: 42-58.
Yuan, M. 2001 Representing Complex Geographic Phenomena with both Object- and Field-like Properties. Cartography and Geographic Information Science 28(2): 83-96.
Yuan, M. 2001. Geographic Data Structure. Geospatial Technology Manual. J. D. Bossel, J. R. Jensen, R. B. McMaster, and C. Rizos eds. (by Taylor & Francis). Pp. 431-449.
Yuan, M. 2000. Representing geographic information to support queries about life and motion of socio-economic units. In Life and Motion of Socio-Economic Units edited by A. U. Frank, J. Raper, and J. P. Cheyland. European Science Foundation (ESF) Series ( London: Taylor and Francis). Pp. 217-234.
Yuan, M. 2000. Representation dynamic geographic phenomena based on hierarchical theory. Proceedings: 9th International Symposium on Spatial Data Handling Spatial Data Handling, P. Forer Eds. Pp. 2a.19-2a.29.
Mass*, D. S. and M. Yuan. 1999. Analyzing Dispersal Dynamics of Golden-cheeked Warblers (Dendroica chrysoparia) Using Remote Sensing, Global Positioning System, and Geographic Information System Technologies. Applied Geographic Studies. Volume 3 (2): 77-95.
Yuan, M. 1999. Representing Geographic Information to enhance GIS support for complex spatiotemporal queries. Transactions in GIS, 3(2):137-160.
Yuan, M. 1998. Representing Spatiotemporal Processes to Support Knowledge Discovery in GIS databases. Proceedings: 8th International Symposium on Spatial Data Handling Spatial Data Handling, T. K. Poiker and N. Chrisman, eds. Pp. 431-440.
Yuan, M. and D. R. Perault. 1998. Measuring the Fractal Dimensions of a Temporal Forest Landscape. Applied Geographic Studies, 2(2): 131-144.
Yuan, M., 1997. Knowledge acquisition for building wildfire representation in Geographic Information Systems. The International Journal of Geographic Information Systems, 11(8):723-745.
Yuan, M., 1996. Modeling semantical, temporal, and spatial information in geographic information systems. Geographic Information Research: Bridging the Atlantic, edited by M. Craglia and H. Couclelis ( London: Taylor & Francis), pp. 334-347.
Yuan, M. and J. Albrecht, 1995. Structural analysis of geographic information and GIS operations: from a user’s perspective. In Spatial Information Theory, edited by A. Frank and W. Kuhn ( Berlin: Springer-Verlag), pp. 107-122.
Yuan, May. 2010. Self-Organizing Maps. Encyclopedia of Geography. 2010. SAGE Publications. 3 Oct. 2010. <http://www.sage-ereference.com/geography/Article_n1018.html>.
Yuan, May. 2010. Wilson, John (1955-). Encyclopedia of Geography. 2010. SAGE Publications. 3 Oct. 2010. <http://www.sage-ereference.com/geography/Article_n1245.html>.
Yuan M. 2009. Space-Time Modeling. In Kitchin R, Thrift N (eds) International Encyclopedia of Human Geography, Volume 10, pp. 286-295. Oxford: Elsevier.
Yuan, M. 2008. Temporal GIS and Applications. Encyclopedia of Geographic Information Science. S. Shekhar and H. Xiong (ed.). Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
Yuan, M. 2008. Visualization and Modeling of Geographic Dynamics. Encyclopedia of Geographic Information Science. S. Shekhar and H. Xiong (ed.). Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
Yuan, M. 2007 Discrete vs. Continuous Phenomena. Encyclopedia of Geographic Information Science. K. Kemp (ed.) Sage Publications. P. 111-114.
Yuan, M. 2007. Representation. Encyclopedia of Geographic Information Science. K. Kemp (ed.) Sage Publications. P. 368-372.
Yuan, M. 2006. Computational Models of Space. Encyclopedia of Human Geography. Pp. 56-57, Barney Warf, editor in chief. Sage Publications.
Yuan, M. 2004. A Book Review on The Representation of Space and Time by D. Peuquet. Economic Geography 80(2), April 2004
Yuan, M. 2000. A Book Review on Spatial and Temporal Reasoning in Geographic Information Systems (Spatial Information Systems) by M. J. Egenhofer and R. G. Golledge eds. Transactions in GIS. 4(2).
Yuan, M. 1999. A Book Review on Exploring Spatial Analysis in Geographic Information Systems by Y. H. Chou. Cartography and Geographic Information Science.
Yuan, M. Dynamics GIS: Recognizing the Dynamic Nature of Reality. ArcNews. Spring 2008 (http://www.esri.com/news/arcnews/spring08articles/dynamics-gis.html)
Yuan, M. and A. Carter. Challenges and Insights in GIS/Remote Sensing Data Integration. Geological Remote Sensing Group Newsletter. Issue 58.
Kingfield, D.*, M. Yuan, H. Brooks, and M. Richman. 2011. A Spatiotemporal Assessment of Tornado Warnings within Storm Prediction Center Convective Outlooks using Geographic Information Systems. American Meteorological Society 2011. Interactive Information Processing Systems. Seattle, WA. Pp. 23-27, 2011.
Simons, J., M. Yuan, C. Carollo, M. Vega-Cendejas, T. Shirley, M. L D Palomares, P. Roopnarine, L. Arenas, A. Ibanez, J. Holmes, C. Mazza, R. Hertog, and D. Reed. 2011. Building a fisheries trophic interaction database for management and modeling research in the Gulf of Mexico Large Marine Ecosystem. Beyond the Horizon Workshop, May 12-13, 2011, Mote Marine Laboratory.
McIntosh, J.**, G. DeLozier*, J. Cantrell*, M. Yuan. 2011. Towards a Narrative GIS. Digital Humanities, 2011. June 19-22, 2011. Stanford University.
James Simons, M. Yuan, C. Carollo, C. Mazza, S. Gonzalez-Perez*, L. Williams*, D. Morris*, D. Reed, M. Vega-Cendejas. 2011. Toward species interaction networks. Managing, visualizing and synthesizing Gulf of Mexico geo-spatial trophic data. Environmental Information Management 2011 Conference. September 28-29, 2011. Santa Barbara. CA.
Yuan, M. 2011. Space-Time Ontologies for Thinking and Reasoning. Conference on Spatial Information Theory. 9/12-16/2011. Belfast, ME.
Yuan, M. 2007. GIS approaches for geographic dynamics understanding and event prediction. SPIE Defense Transformation and Network-Centric systems II. Special Session on Predictive Analytic Modeling. April 8-13, 2007. Orlando, Florida.
McPherson, W. G., M. Yuan, and N. Benson 2007. Devising an online collaborative decision-support GIS for climate monitoring site selection. 23rd Conference on IIPS. 87th annual meeting of American Meteorology Society. San Antonio, Texas. January 15-18, 2007.
Howard, D. and M. Yuan. 2007. A continuous field approach to using GIS to model weather RADAR terrain occultation. 23rd Conference on IIPS. 87th annual meeting of American Meteorology Society. San Antonio, Texas. January 15-18, 2007.
McPherson, W. G. and M. Yuan. 2006. GIS analysis and modeling for spatial decision support to NOAA’s environmental Real-Time Observation Network (NERON). 22nd International Conference on Interactive Information Processing Systems for Meteorology, Oceanography, and Hydrology in American Meteorological Society Annual Meeting, 29 January-2 February, 2006, Atlanta, Georgia .
Bothwell, J. and M. Yuan. 2006. Exploring climate patterns embedded in global climate change datasets. 22nd International Conference on Interactive Information Processing Systems for Meteorology, Oceanography, and Hydrology in American Meteorological Society Annual Meeting, 29 January-2 February, 2006, Atlanta, Georgia .
Cheuk, M. L., M. Yuan, and P. Klein-Kastner. 2006. Coupling Geographic Information Systems and Urban Dispersion Model: An Example of ArcGIS and QUIC. Sixth Urban Environment Symposium in American Meteorological Society Annual Meeting, 29 January-2 February, 2006, Atlanta, Georgia.
McPherson, W. Jr. and M. Yuan. 2006. GIS Analysis and Modeling for Spatial Decision Support to NOAA’s Real-Time Observation Network (NERON). 22nd International Conference on Interactive Information Processing Systems (IIPS) for Meteorology, Oceanography, and Hydrology, 29 January-2 February, 2006, Atlanta, Georgia .
Basara J., B. G. Illston, P. Klein, and M. Yuan. 2006. The Oklahoma City Urban micronet project: transitionining from vision to reality. Sixth Urban Environment Symposium in American Meteorological Society Annual Meeting, Atlanta, Georgia. January 2006.
Yuan, M. 2005, A temporal GIS conceptual framework for complex queries about geographic dynamics, GISPlanet 2005. May 30-June 2, 2005. Lisbon, Portugal.
Yuan, M. 2005. The Roles of GIS in Building the Earth Information System. 21st International Conference on Interactive Information Processing Systems (IIPS) for Meteorology, Oceanography, and Hydrology, January 12, 2005. San Diego, California. Available at http://ams.confex.com/ams/Annual2005/techprogram/paper_86983.htm
McPherson, W. Jr., M. Yuan, D. Giuliano, K. Tapp, and J. Rush, 2005. Siting New England: a GIS prototype for site selection for the NWS Modernized Cooperative Network. Ninth Symposium on Integrated Observing and Assimilation Systems for the Atmosphere, Oceans, and Land Surface (IOAS-AOLS), January 12, 2005. San Diego, California. Available at http://ams.confex.com/ams/Annual2005/techprogram/paper_86229.htm
Brian, S.J., M. Brown, J. Ching, M. L. Cheuk, M. Yuan, W. S. Han, and A. T. McKinnon 2004. Urban Morphological Analysis for Mesoscale Meteorological and Dispersion Modeling Applications: Current Issues. American Meteorological Society Fifth Conference on Urban Environment. 23-27 August, Vancouver, BC, Canada.
Yuan, M. and J. McIntosh, 2004. Data retrieval based on spatiotemporal characteristics of weather events. The 84th Annual Meeting of the American Meteorological Society. Seattle, WA. Available at http://ams.confex.com/ams/84Annual/techprogram/paper_72531.htm
Yuan, M. and J. McIntosh. 2003. Weather Intelligence: A GIS Approach to Enrich Weather/Climate Databases. The 83rd Annual Meeting of the American Meteorological Society.
Cunningham, K., M. Yuan, and J. Adams, 1999. Measuring the effects of reservoir operations using GIS. Accepted to be presented in the First International Symposium on GIS in Fishery Sciences.
Yuan, M. 1997. Development of a Global Conceptual Schema for Interoperable Geographic Information. The International Specialist Meeting on Interoperating Geographic Information Systems, sponsored by NSF and OpenGIS . December 5-6, Santa Barbara, CA. http://ncgia.ncgia.ucsb.edu:80/conf/interop97/program/
Yuan, M. and I. Butler, 1997. On Developing an Integrated Information System for the Oklahoma Natural Heritage Inventory: The Biological Data Atlas. Paper to be published in the Proceedings: Conference on Scientific and Technical Data Exchange and Integration. December 15-17, 1997. Bethesda, Maryland. The National Research Council on the U.S. National Committee for CODATA.
Yuan, M., 1997. Representing Geographic Information to Support Spatiotemporal Queries. Proceedings: GIS AM/FM Asia'97 & GeoInformatics'97: Mapping the Future of Asia Pacific, May 26-29, Taipei, Taiwan, ( Taipei, Taiwan : Chinese Geographic Information Society, published in English).
Yuan, M., 1996. Temporal GIS and Spatiotemporal Modeling. Integrating GIS and Environmental Modeling edited by M. Goodchild (CD-ROM).
Yuan, M., 1994. Wildfire conceptual modeling for building GIS space-time models. Proceedings: GIS/LIS '94, pp. 860-869. Re-printed in Temporal Data in Geographic Information Systems, compiled by Andrew Frank, Wener Kuhn, and Peter Haunold, 1995. Department of Geoinformation, Technical University of Vienna. pp. 47-56.
Yuan, M. and D. M. Mark, 1994. Eliciting experts' knowledge for wildfire data modeling in GIS. Proceedings, 1994 ESRI Users Conference, pp. 1179-1191.
Chou, Y. H. and M. Yuan, 1993. An integrated object-oriented representation of wildland fires in Geographic Information Systems. Proceedings: GIS/LIS'93, pp. 128-138.
Weber, C. R. and M. Yuan, 1993. Cartographic Sonification: An analysis of subject association of harmonic intervals with various cartographic adjectives. Proceedings: ACSM/ASPRS, Annual Convention and Exhibition. Vol. 1, pp. 391-401.
Yuan, M. and Hui Lin, 1992. Spatio-temporal modeling of wildfire in Geographic Information Systems. Proceedings: the Symposium of Chinese Professionals in Geographic Information Systems. pp. 194-200.
Speaker, Space-Time Analytics. US-China Space and Time in GIScience Research Summit. Chinese Academy of Sciences. Nov 13, 2012. Beijing, China, and Nov 15, 2012 Wuhan, China.
Speaker, Space, Time, and Patterns of Life. Oak Ridge National Laboratory, September 26, 2012 and Ralston Lecture, Department of Geography, University of Tennessee. September 28, 2012. Knoxville, Tennessee.
Speaker, Spatial Narratives and Deep Maps. Digital Humanities Institute. Polis Center, Indiana University Purdue University – Indianapolis. June 18-June 29. 2012. Indianapolis, IN.
Speaker, Promoting Diversity in Geography: key issues and strategies. American Association of Geographers (AAG) Departmental Leadership Workshop. June 13-16, 2012. Boulder, CO.
Speaker, GIS and Health. OU Health Science Center Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology. 4/28/2011.
Speaker, GPS Track Analysis to Facilitate Location-based Offender Monitoring. Panel at National Institute of Justice Conference 6/20-22/2011
Speaker, Space-Time Integration in GIScience and Geography. National University of Geosciences, Beijing, China. 11/1-9/2011. Beijing, China
Speaker, From Time Geography to Geospatial Narrative: GIS as a Narrative Generation Platform. Miller Lecture at Department of Geography at Pennsylvania State University. 11/30-12/1/2011. Speaker, Advancing GIS for Geospatial Dynamics. AGU 2010 Fall Meeting, 12-17 December 2010. San Francisco, CA.
Speaker, GIScience Approaches to Understanding Geographic Dynamics. GIS Day at the University of Nebraska. November 17, 2010. Lincoln, Nebraska.
Speaker, Temporal GIS Research Trends. Academia Sinica Taiwan. July 15, 2010. Taipei, Taiwan.
Instructor, GIS and GIScience for Climate Change Analysis. NSF PASI Panama on Climate Change and Hazards. June 14-26, 2010. Panama City, Panama.
Speaker, Space, Time, and Narratives. Future Research Directions for the National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency. National Research Council Workshop. May 17-19, 2010. Washington DC.
Speaker, Spatial Integration and Inspirations. Workshop on Innovations in Biological Imaging and Visualization. National Science Foundation, May 24-28, 2010. Washington, DC.
Speaker, Spatiotemporal Integration for Knowledge Innovation. Workshop on Knowledge Innovation at the Science-Policy Interface. Inter America Institute and National Center for Atmospheric Science (IAI-NCAR). April 12-23, 2010, San Jose, Costa Rica.
Panelist, GIScience Grand Challenges. American Association of Geographers Annual Meeting. April 14-18. Washington DC.
Seminar Speaker, GIScience Research: Frontiers and Fundamentals. Department of Geography, National Taiwan University. October 6, 2009. Taipei, Taiwan.
Speaker: From Temporal GIS to Narrative. Presidential Session in Social Science and History Association Annual Meeting, Miami, Florida. Oct 23-26, 2008
Speaker: Temporal GIS, Geographic Dynamics, and Complex Systems. EUROCORES Programme TECT workshop on Cooperation through the Ages: the social and psychological dynamics of cooperation and punishment. Sitges, Barcelona, Spain. 25-27 April 2008. European Science Foundation.
Speaker: Temporal GIS: Representation and Analysis. EUROCORES Programme TECT Joint-Project workshop on Studying Spatially Complex Cooperative Relationships, Universidade do Porto, Porto, Portugal, 26-29 March 2008. European Science Foundation.
Panel discussant, Workshop on Advanced Research in Geospatial Information Technologies for Transportation. September 20-21, 2007. Keck Center, U.S. National Academies, Washington DC.
Speaker: Temporal GIS. Workshop: A Place in Europe: Historical GIS and New Perspectives on European and World History. November 30-December 2, 2007, Barcelona, Spain. Sponsored by the European Science Foundation.
Speaker: Geovisualization Seminar, Temporal GIS for Meteorological Applications: Perception, Representation, Analysis, Visualization, and Understanding. Department of Geosciences, Oregon State University. February 13, 2007.
Speaker, Research Priorities in Areas of Geospatial Intelligence. GEOINTEL Academic workshop on Research Priorities. November 13-16, 2006. Orlando , Florida
Keynote Speaker, Geographic Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery. GISnet'12 Conference, August 14-18, 2006. Hochiminh city Vietnam.
Keynote Speaker, GIS for Knowledge Discovery of Weather and Climate, April 8, 2006, European Geosciences Union, General Assembly Vienna, Austria.
Seminar Speaker. Spatiotemporal Data Modeling for Knowledge Discovery. National Center for Geocomputation, March 24, 2006. Maynooth , Ireland .
Seminar Speaker, Temporal GIS and Meteorology. National Center for Atmospheric Research, June 30, 2004. Boulder, Colorado.
Seminar Speaker, GIS and Public Health Applications OU Health Science Center. September 29, 2003. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
Seminar Speaker, Geographic Intelligence: From Representation to Discovery of Geographic Dynamics in GIS Databases. Geography Colloquium at the University of Southern California , October 10, 2003.
Workshop Speaker, Beyond Mapping: GIS Analysis and Modeling for Environmental Research. UNIDATA Workshop on Expanding Horizons: Using Environmental Data and Model Output for Education, Prediction, and Decision Making, June 23-27, 2003. Boulder, CO.
Seminar Speaker. Representation and Discovery of Geographic Dynamics in GIS Databases. Dangermand Lecture Series at ESRI and Geography, UC-Santa Barbara. December 9-10, 2003.
Seminar Speaker, Geography Colloquium, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis-St. Paul. December 2, 2001.
Special Session Speaker on GIS Data Schemata for Spatiotemporal Information in The Third International Conference in Integrating GIS and Environmental Modeling. Santa Fe, New Mexico. January 21-25, 1996.
Visiting Research Scientist UNIDATA and National Center for Atmospheric Research. June 1 to December 31, 2004. Boulder, Colorado.
Yuan, M., J. McIntosh, and G. DeLozier, 2012. Narrative GIS: From Mapping Text to Generating Spatial Narratives. Social Science and History Association Conference. November 1-4, 2012.
Nara, Atsushi, M. Keesee, W. Greenwood, J. Redden, M. Denney, and M. Yuan. 2012. Track analysis toolkit for location based offender monitoring system. Annual conference of Technology Institute for Corrections. August 6-7, 2012. Arlington, VA.
Yuan, M. 2012. GIS as a platform for spatial narrative generation. Annual project meeting of Understanding Social Networks within Complex, Nonlinear Systems: Geographically Integrated History and Dynamics GIS, August 7-8, 2012. Boise, ID.
Yuan, M. 2012. Spatial narratives and deep maps. Digital Humanities Institute. Polis Center at IUPUI June 18-29, 2012. Indianapolis, IN.
Yuan, M. 2012. Geographic Perspectives to Catalyzing Diversity Research. American Association of Geographers Departmental Leadership Workshop. June 13-16, 2012. Boulder, CO.
Nesbit, S., J. McIntosh, G. De Lozier, and M. Yuan. 2012. Calling all troops. Maps, Models, Machines: New Methods in Civil War History. Annual Conference of the Society of Civil War Historians. June 14-16, Lexington, KY.
Yuan, M. 2012. Representation Research in Geographical Information Science and Spatial Sciences. Panel session in honor of Dr. Michael F. Goodchild retirement. American Association of Geographers 2012 Annual Meeting. February 24-28, 2012. New York, NY.
McIntosh, J., G. DeLozier, J. Cantrell, M. Yuan. 2011. Using Technology to Integrate Time and Space for Historical Analysis. American Association of Geographers 2011 Annual Meeting. April 12-16, 2011. Seattle, WA.
Yuan, M. 2011. CyberGIS: GIS in the Cyberinfrastructure on CyberGIS Research Agenda Panel at American Association of Geographers 2011 Annual Meeting. April 12-16, 2011. Seattle, WA.
McPherson, W. G., J. Hocker, and M. Yuan. 2010. GIS Development of the Southern Climate Impacts Planning Program. 26th Conference on Interactive Information Processing Systems for Meteorology, Oceanography, and Hydrology. January 17-21, 2010, Atlanta, GA.
Yuan, M. 2009. Modeling Agency and Action in Historical GIS. Special session in the Annual meeting of the Association of Historical and Social Sciences. November 12-15, 2009. Long Beach, CA.
Yuan, M. 2009. Engaging in the context of GIS, University Consortium for Geographic Information Science, Summer Assembly, June 22-23, Santa Fe, NM.
Yuan, M., Temporal GIS and Spatiotemporal Analysis. DARPA ISAT Workshop on spatio-temporal analysis, May 6-7, 2009. Berkeley, CA.
Yuan, M. 2007. From Static to Dynamic: Temporal GIS Potential to Spatial Analysis. Annual Meeting of American Association of Geographers. San Francisco, CA. April 18-21, 2007.
Yuan, M. 2007. Temporal GIS for Agent-based Modeling of Complex Spatial Systems. NSF Research Workshop on Agent-Based Modeling of Complex Spatial Systems. Santa Barbara, CA. April 13-15, 2007.
Yuan, M. 2007. Temporal GIS for Meteorological Application and Representation Models for Dynamic Geographic Phenomena. February 13, 2007. Geovisualization Seminar. Oregon State University.
Yuan, M. 2006. Research Priorities in Areas of Geospatial Intelligence. GeoIntel 2007 Symposium. November 13-16, 2006, Orlando, Florida.
Yuan, M. 2006. From Nature to Nurture: GIS for Knowledge Discovery of Dynamics. UCGIS visits to Intelligence Communities Savage, Maryland .
Yuan, M. 2005. GIS data modeling for Knowledge Discovery. 100th annual meeting of American Association of Geographers. April 9, 2005. Denver, Colorado.
Yuan, M. 2004. Geospatial Information Science and Technology Program Report. Oklahoma Space Grant Consortium annual review meeting. May 19, 2004. Norman, Oklahoma.
Yuan, M. 2004. Oklahoma Geospatial Extension and Outreach Activities. National Geospatial Extensional Specialist meeting. April 13-15, 2004. Kansas City, Kansas.
Yuan, M. 2004. Data retrieval based on spatiotemporal characteristics of weather events. The 84th Annual Meeting of the American Meteorological Society. Seattle, WA.
Yuan, M. 2004. Evaluating Remote Sensing and GIS Techniques on Assessment of Tornado Damage Tracks from the Oklahoma City Tornado Outbreak on May 3rd 1999 . AAG 2004 Annual Meeting. Pittsburg, Philadelphia.
Yuan, M. 2003. Weather Intelligence: A GIS approach to enrich weather databases. American Meteorological Society Annual Meeting, February 10-14, Long Beach, California.
Yuan, M. 2002. Representing Processes in Geographic Information Systems. AAG annual meeting. March 18-22, 2002, Los Angles, California.
Yuan, M. and J. McIntosh 2002. Representing Events in Distributed Phenomena. National Imagery and Mapping Agency (NIMA) University Research Initiative Symposium. July 16-17, 2002. Reston, VA.
Yuan, M. 2000 Hierarchy Theory and Geographic Representation. GIScience 2000. Savannah, Georgia . 28-31 October, 2000.
Magsig, M., M. Dicken-Micozzi, and M. Yuan, 2000. Analysis of Tornado Damage on May 3rd, 1999, Using Remote Sensing and GIS Technologies Based on High-Resolution Satellite Imagery. The 20th Conference on Severe Local Storms. Orlando, Florida. 11-15, September 2000.
Yuan, M., J. Canning, and J. McIntosh, 2000. Incorporating intelligence into a GIS to support spatiotemporal query, analysis, and modeling in hydrology. The 3rd NURI Symposium by NIMA. 16-17, June, 2000. Reston, Virginia.
Yuan, M., Dicken-Micozzi, and M. Magsig. 2000. Analysis of Tornado Damage Tracks on the May 3rd Tornado Outbreak Using High-Resolution Satellite Imagery and GIS. National Symposium on the Great Plains Tornado Outbreak of 3 May 1999. Oklahoma City, Oklahoma. 2-5 May 2000.
Cunningham, K. K., and M. Yuan. 2000. Use of GIS to predict the spatial variation in aquatic vegetation on Lake Chambers, Oklahoma. 130th Annual Meeting of the American Fisheries Society, 23 August 2000, St. Louis, Missouri.
Cunningham, K., M. Yuan, and J. Adams, 1999. Measuring the effects of reservoir operations using GIS. The First International Symposium on GIS in Fishery Sciences.
Yuan, M. 1998. Geospatial data, information, and knowledge: the use of GIS databases. Botany Seminar, the Department of Botany, University of Oklahoma, November 5, 1998.
Yuan, M. 1998. On developing an Intelligent Geographic Information System in Hydrology. The American Association of Geographers 94th Annual Meeting, 25-29 March, 1998. Boston, Massachusetts.
Yuan, M. 1997. Complex spatiotemporal queries in a GIS environment. The American Association of Geographers 93rd Annual Meeting. 1-5 April, 1997, Fort-Worth, Texas.
Ducheon, C. E. and M. Yuan. 1997. Use of kriging and arithmetic averaging to estimate daily area-average rainfall in central Florida. Annual Spring Meeting, the American Geophysical Union. May 1997. Baltimore, Maryland.
2010-2013 Developing and Evaluating the Effectiveness of the Location-based Offender Monitoring System for Offender Supervision. December 1, 2010 – September 30, 2013. PI. $1,162,770. With Dr. Marguerite Keesee. National Institute of Justice.
2010-2014 Spatial Validation of Oklahoma Broadband Accessibility and Broadband Planning. National Telecommunication and Information Agency. March 1, 2010-December 31, 2014. PI. $611,455. (Part of the State of Oklahoma Broadband Mapping and Planning Grant led by Secretary of State and State Department of Finance)
2009-2013 Understanding Social Networks within Complex, Nonlinear Systems: Geographically Integrated History and Dynamics GIS. NSF. September 15 2009 - September 14, 2013. PI at University of Oklahoma. $471,191 (OU budget). This is a collaborative research project with Dr. Jack Owen at Idaho State University ($1,290,704 for the Idaho state budget).
2009-2013 A CyberCommons for Ecological Forecasting. NSF. OU budget $3M. Co-PI (PI: Dr. Paul Risser and 8 faculty). This is a collaborative research project with Dr. Krishatlka at University of Kansas (Kansas budget $3M).
2008-2013 Climate Risk Mitigation Program. Co-PI (PI: Dr. Mark Shafer and 8 Co-PIs). September 2008 to August 2013. NOAA Regional Integrated Sciences and Assessments Program: $3,849,883.
2008-2013 A Pilot GIS Service Portal to Support Boll Weevil Eradication Program. Principal Investigator. July 1, 2008-June 30, 2013. State of Oklahoma, Boll Weevil Eradication Organization. $130,035
2006-2013 Geo-Referencing Maintenance for the Oklahoma Voter Registration System. Principal Investigator. Co-Investigator: Kathryn Hines. July 1, 2007-June 30, 2013. Oklahoma Election Board: $1,812,794.
2006-2013 Sales-Tax Calculation Database using GIS Technologies: Maintenance Efforts with School and Career Technical Districts Updates. Principal Investigator. Co-Investigator: Kathryn Hines. July 1, 2007- June 30, 2013. Oklahoma Tax Commission. $1,941,840.
2003-2015 Geospatial Information Science and Technology (GIST) Program, Oklahoma NASA Space Grant Consortium. Principal Investigator on the GIST program (Dr. V. Duca-Snowden is the PI for the Oklahoma NASA Space Grant Consortium). August 15, 2003-August 14, 2015, NASA. $694,131.
2009-2011 Risk Prediction and Event Modeling: literature review, research agenda development, and methodology development. October 1, 2009 - December 31, 2011. ITT/Naval Research Laboratory/Department of Homeland Security. PI at OU. $389,708
2010-2011 Web GIS Development for Landfills and Landfill Analysis. U.S. Geological Survey. June 15, 2010-October 31, 2011, $15,392. PI.
2009-2011 Asset Mapping Pilot for Central Oklahoma Economic Development. Central Oklahoma Workforce Investment Board. October 9, 2009-June 30, 2010. PI. $153,793.
2009-2010 Map Design and Creation of Wildlife Management Area Atlas for Oklahoma Department of Wildlife Conservation. December 15, 2009 - May 15, 2010. PI. $33,155.
2009-2010 Data Acquisition and Meta-analysis of Habitat Information from Gulf of Mexico Trophics Studies using Coastal Marine Ecological Classification Systems. NOAA and NatureServe. July 1 2009-March 31 2010. $40,000.
2008-2010 Development of Web-based Geographic Information Services for Oklahoma Capital Improvements Planning Program. Principal Investigator. September 1, 2008 to February 28, 2010. Oklahoma Department of Commerce. $141,000.
2006-2009 Data-Model Assimilation at FACE and AmeriFlux Sites Toward Predictive Understanding of Carbon Sequestration at Ecosystem and Continental Scales. Co-Investigator. Principal Investigator: Dr. Yiqi Luo; other Co-Investigator: Dr. Luther White. September 1, 2006-August 31, 2009. DOE: $750K.
2008 Capacity Building for Ecoinformatics Research. NSF EPSCoR. $30,000 equipment grant.
2007-2008 Spatiotemporal Dynamics Data Model. Principal Investigator. Subcontract of $23,311 from Compact Computing Inc., U. S. Army Small Business Innovation Research, Phase I. December 1, 2007 to March 31, 2008. Phase II proposal invited.
2006-2007 Boundary Demarcation for the Muscogee Creek Nation. Principal Investigator. October 15, 2006-February 28, 2007. Muscogee Creek Nation: $8,144.
2006-2007 Phase 2: System Upgrade Development for Oklahoma's Capital Improvements Planning Program. Principal Investigator. Co-Investigator: Katherine Hines. April 1, 2006-March 31, 2007. Oklahoma Department of Commerce: $109,318.
2005 Workshop on Computation and Visualization for the Understanding of Dynamics in Geographic Domains. The workshop was held on October 16-18, 2006 (http://www.ucgis.org/dynamics_workshop/workshop_agenda.htm) . Follow-up activities continued to December 2007. Co-Investigators: Dr. M. Yuan and Dr. Kathleen Stewart Hornsby. University Consortium for Geographic Information Science and U.S. Intelligence Communities: $91,997.
2005-2007 multicriteria Spatial Decision Support for NOAA Environmental Real-Time Observation Network. Principal Investigator, Co-Investigator: William McPherson, Jr. August 1, 2005-December 31, 2007. NOAA: $663,585.
2004-2006 Collaborative Research: Integration of Geographic Complexity and Dynamics into Geographic Information Systems. PI: $82,000 at the University of Oklahoma. This is a collaborative project with Dr. Michael Goodchild, University of California, Santa Barbara and Dr. Tom Cova, University of Utah. August 1, 2004 - July 31, 2006. NSF: Total amount $250,000.
2004-2005 Development of a Comprehensive GIS Model to Prototype a New National Weather Service COOP Network. Principal Investigator, Co-Investigator: William McPherson, Jr. August 1, 2004-July 31, 2005. NOAA: $213,501.
2004 Field surveys for COOP and LETS locations in New England states. Principal Investigator, Co-Investigator: William McPherson, Jr., July 1 - August 31, 2004. NOAA: $97,311.
2004 GIS-based Selection of Potential National Weather Service COOP sites: A pilot study in Maine, New Hampshire, and Vermont. Principal Investigator, Co-Investigator: William McPherson, Jr. June 1 - August 31, 2004. NOAA: $30,501.
1999-2004 Remote Sensing Internship with Space Imaging Inc. Principal Investigator. Space Image Inc. $323,521.
2000-2002 Extending Geographic Representation to Support Knowledge Discovery in Geographic Information Systems. Principal Investigator. NSF/POWRE. $74,875
2000-2001 The Integration of GIS, Remote Sensing, and Weather Technologies to Develop a 4D Real-time Air Pollution Management System at Tinker AFB. Principal Investigator. Co-Investigators: Dr. Victor DeBrunner, Dr. Mani Chinnaswamy, and David Jahn. Tinker Air Force Base, Department of Defense and Oklahoma State Regents. $498,619.
2000-2001 The Oklahoma Wind Power Assessment Initiative. Co-Investigator. State of Oklahoma, Department of Commerce, US Department of Energy. With T. Huges (Principal Investigator), M. Meo, M. Shafer. $199,711.
2000 A GIS Approach to the Support of EOS Land Validation: A Case Study Using MODIS and AERONET Data. Principal Investigator. NASA Research Initiatives Grant. $18,854.
2000-2002 Research on the Fluxes of Water and Energy at the Land Surface, Element#7: Development of a HydroGIS based on Oklahoma Mesonet. Principal Investigator, NASA-Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (EPSCoR). Total award: $162,000 for two years. This is an extension of the 1996-99 project.
1998-1999 National Geographic Society Education Foundation. Windows on the World: Using ArcView GIS to Enhance Geography Curricula. Co-Investigator with Julie Parker (Principal Investigator). Total award: $12,710.
1997 Microsoft University Map Bash Program. Principal Investigator. Software Grant to promote education in computer-based map analysis.
1997 NASA/MTPE, Oklahoma Center of Excellence for Applications of Remote Sensing, Co-Investigator: Co-Investigator with Dr. Karen Humes (Principal Investigator) with 12 Co-Investigators (equipment grant, Total award $340,000)
1997-2003 Development of an Intelligent GIS to Support Spatiotemporal Queries, Analysis, and Modeling in Hydrology. Principal Investigator. Co-Investigators: Dr. John Canning. Department of Defense, National Imagery and Mapping Agency, $951,474.
1997 Use of Geographic Information Systems (GIS) to Model the Effects of Reservoir Operations on Fisheries in Hugo Lake, Oklahoma. Principal Investigator, The Oklahoma Department of Wildlife and Fisheries. Total award: $4,480.
1996-99 Research on the Fluxes of Water and Energy at the Land Surface, Element#7: Development of a HydroGIS based on Oklahoma Mesonet. Principal Investigator, NASA-Experimental Program to Stimulate Competitive Research (EPSCoR). Total award: $243,000 for three years.
1996-00 Educational Explorations of the Earth System. Co-Investigator with Drs. John Snow (Principal Investigator), Mark Morrissey, William Beasley, James Kimpel, Susan Postawko, and Linda Wallace, NASA-Sponsored Cooperative University-based Program in Earth System Science Education. Total award: $ 200,000.
1995-96 Hydrological Data Modeling in Geographic Information Systems, Principal Investigator, University of Oklahoma Research Council. total award: $5,000.
1995-96 Environmental Remote Sensing, GIS and the Oklahoma Mesonet. Co-Investigator with M. Morrissey (Principal Investigator), C. Duchon, M. Jakubauskas, S. Stadler, D. Waits, and R. Elliot, NASA, Total award: $125,000.
1995-96 Flood-Zone Delineation Mapping Project for the Town of Slaughterville, Oklahoma, Principal Investigator. The Town of Slaughterville, Oklahoma. Total award: $5,670.
1993 Eliciting Expert’s Knowledge for Wildfire Information Modeling. Principal Investigator, under supervision of Professor D. Mark, Environmental Systems Research Institute. Total award: $3,950.
2004 Matching funds to NSF grant on Collaborative Research: Integration of Geographic Complexity and Dynamics into Geographic Information Systems. Vice President for Research: $4023.
2004 Travel support to attend American Meteorological Society Summer Policy Colloquium. Dean of Geosciences: $4,000; Vice President for Research: $2,000.
2001 Start-up funds to revive Center for Spatial Analysis. Vice President for Research: $60,000.
National committees , BoaRds, and editors
Member, Geological Remote Sensing Group, North American Committee (since 2012).
United States Geospatial Intelligence Foundation. Academic Committee (since 2010).
President, University Consortium for Geographic Information Science (2011-2012)
Member, Mapping Science Committee, National Research Council (2009-2015)
Member, Future Workforce for Geospatial Intelligence, National Research Council (2010-2012)
Member, Honors Committee, Association of American Geographers (2009 - 2012)
Member, Board of Directors, University Consortium for Geographic Information Science (2004-2007)
Associate editor (the Americas) for the International Journal of Geographic Information Science (since 2008)
Editorial board of Annals of American Association of Geographers (since 2005)
Editorial board of International Journal of Geographic Information Science (2001-2007)
Editorial board of Transactions in GIS (2001-2010)
Conference and workshop committees
- Member of Organizing Committee, Spatial Computing Expert Workshop. Computing Community Council with fund from National Science Foundation. September 10-11, 2012. Washington DC.
- Member of Program Committee, GEOProcessing 2012. The 5th International Conference on Advanced Geographic Information Systems, Applications, and Services. February 24 - March 1, 2013. Nice, France.
- Member of Program Committee, the 20th ACM International Symposium on Advances in Geographic Information Systems (ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS), November 2-6, 2012, Redondo Beach, CA.
- Member of Program Committee, 2012 Conference on Intelligent Data Understanding. October 24-27, 2012. Boulder, CO.
- Member of Program Committee, INFOCOMP 2012. October 21-26, 2012. Venice, Italy.
- Member of Program Committee, GIScience 2012. September 18-21, 2012. Columbus, OH.
- Member of Organizing Committee, Computing Community Consortium Workshop: From GPS and Virtual Globes to Spatial Computing 2020. September 10-11, 2012. DC.
- Member of Program Committee, the 19th ACM International Symposium on Advances in Geographic Information Systems (ACM GIS), November 2-5, 2011, Chicago, Illinois.
- Member of Program Committee, 12th International Conference on Spatial Information Theory (COSIT 2009). September 12-16, 2011. Belfast, ME.
- Member of Program Committee, Space-Time Integration in GIScience and Geography Symposium, American Association of Geographers. Seattle, WA. 4/12-16/2011.
- Member of Program Committee, the International Symposium on Spatial-Temporal Analysis and Data Mining, University of College London. 7/18-20/2011
- Member of Program Committee, 14th AGILE Conference on Geographic Information Science. 4/18-21/2011, Utrecht, The Netherlands
- External reviewer for USGS strategy for Core Science Systems.
- External reviewer for Faculty Tenure and Promotion at Penn State University, University of Nebraska, and New Mexico State University
- Ad Hoc Reviewer for NSF, Swiss National Science Foundation, European Science Foundation, Australia Science Fund, LSU BP Gulf Research Initiative, and University of Minnesota Infrastructure Investment Initiative, 2011.
- Panelist on National Endowment of Humanities. 2011.
- Panelist on NSB Mid-Scale Research Discussion, 3/31/2011, Denver, CO.
- Panelist on Transportation Research Board GIS for Livable and Sustainable Community. 5/5-6/2011. DC
- Member of Program Committee, the 18th ACM International Symposium on Advances in Geographic Information Systems (ACM GIS), November 2-5, 2010, San Jose, CA.
- Member of Program Committee, the 6th International Conference on Geographic Information Science. September 14-17, 2010, Zurich, Switzerland.
- Member of Program Committee, Space-Time Analysis and Modeling Workshop. Environmental Systems and Research Institute (ESRI), February 22-23, 2010, Redlands, CA.
- Member of Program Committee, the 17th ACM International Symposium on Advances in Geographic Information Systems (ACM GIS), November 4-6, 2009, Seattle, WA.
- Member of Program Committee, 11th International Conference on Spatial Information Theory (COSIT 2009). September 21-25, 2009. Aber Wrac’h, France.
- Member of Program Committee, the 12th AGILE International Conference on Geographic Information Science, June 2-5, 2009, Hannover, Germany.
- Organizer, Temporal GIS workshop in the 5th International Conference on Geographic Information Science. September 23-26, 2008. Park City, Utah.
- Member of Program Committee, the 5th International Conference on Geographic Information Science. September 23-26, 2008. Park City, Utah.
- Member of Program Committee, the 11th AGILE International Conference on Geographic Information Science, May 5-8, 2008. Girona-Catalonia, Spain.
- Member of Program Committee, the 16th ACM International Symposium on Advances in Geographic Information Systems (ACM GIS), November 5-7, 2008, Irvine, California.
- Member of Program Committee, International Workshop on Spatial And Spatial-Temporal Data Mining, in cooperation with IEEE ICDM 2007. October 28, 2007. Omaha, NE.
- Member of Program Committee, the 15th ACM International Symposium on Advances in Geographic Information Systems (ACM GIS), November 7-9, 2007, Seattle, Washington.
- Member of Program Committee, 9th International Conference on Spatial Information Theory (COSIT 2007). September 19-23, 2007.
- Member of Program Committee, 10th AGILE (Association of Geographic Information Laboratories in Europe) International Conference on Geographic Information Science, 8-11 May 2007, Aalborg, Denmark.
- Member of Program Committee, GIScience2006. September 20-23, 2006. Munster, Germany.
- Co-Organizer, Workshop on Computation and Visualization of Dynamics in Geographic Domains. October 16-18, 2006. Maritime Institute of Technology & Graduate Studies, Washington, DC.
- Co-Chair, GISnet'12 Conference, August 14-18, 2006. Hochiminh city Vietnam.
- Program Committee Member of Conference on Spatial Information Theory (COSIT) 2005, September 14-18, 2005. Ellicottville, New York
- Program Committee Member of GISPlanet 2005, May 30-June 2, 2005, Lisbon, Portugal .
- Program Committee Member of GIScience 2004. University of Maryland Conference Center, October 20-23, 2004.
- Program Committee Member and Panel Speaker to Geospatial Data Mining and Visualization Workshop sponsored by the National Security Council and University Consortium for Geographic Information Science. November 18-20, 2003. The National Conference Center, Lansdowne, Virginia.
Organizer or Invited participant to workshops
- Co-Organizer, Arab Springs, Lessons learnt, Academic Forum at GEOINT 2012, Orlando, FL.
- Co-Organizer, Space-Time Research in GIScience. GIScience 2012. Columbus, OH.
- Co-Organizer, The first annual meeting of North American Geological Remote Sensing Group, May 3, 2012, Houston, TX.
- Co-Organizer, Space-Time Analytics Session, Academic Forum at GEOINT 2011, San Antonio, TX
- Co-Organizer, DHS Risk Prediction Workshop. December 8-9, 2010. Dulles, Virginia.
- Co-Organizer, GIS Research Workshop for Humanities and Social Sciences, July 14-16, 2010. Academia Sinica. Taipei, Taiwan.
- Panelist, GIS in the Humanities and Social Sciences, October 7-9, 2009, Taipei, Taiwan.
- GeoSpatial and GeoTemporal Informatics workshop. January 7-9, 2009. Arlington, Virginia, NSF.
- Exploring creative approaches for analytical methodologies workshop. April 3-4, 2008. Arlington, Virginia. CENTRA Technology, Inc.
- Complicated Features Workshop. November 14-16, 2007. Airlie Center, Virginia. Sponsored by Geospatial Intelligence Agency.
- European Collaborative Research on the Evolution of Cooperation and Trading (EUROCORES Progreamme TECT) Launch Conference. July 4-7, 2007. Collegium Budapest, Institute for Advanced Study, Budapest, Hungary.
- Ubiquitous Spatial Computing Workshop, NCGIA, January 25-27, 2007, Portland Maine.
- Digital Gazetteer and Practice workshop. December 7-9, 2006. Santa Barbara, California.
- Improvised Explosive Devices (IED) Workshop, May 5-6, 2006, Washington, DC.
- High Performance Computing for Geosciences, August 25-27, 2006, National Center for Atmospheric Research, Boulder, Colorado.
- Spatial Perspective on Analysis for Curriculum Enhancement (SPACE) planning workshop, December 19-21, 2005. Santa Barbara, CA.
- Forum for Geosciences Information Technology, Oct. 6-7, 2005, Washington, DC.
- Cyberinfrastructure for Research, Development, and Education in the Atmospheric Science. Southwest Focus Group Meeting, October 15-16, 2003, San Diego, CA.
- NASA/USDA joint workshop on Focused Area Working Groups. April 12-14, 2005. New Orleans, Louisiana.
- FEMA Geospatial workshop, April 19-21, 2005. Indianapolis, Indiana.
- Action-oriented Approaches in Geographic Information Science, NCGIA, November 2-4, 2002, Maine.
- National Research Council workshop on the intersection of geospatial information and information technology, October 1-2, 2001.
- NCGIA-I20 workshop on Interoperating GIS, sponsored by NSF and OpenGIS. December 5-6, 1997. Santa Barbara, California.
- GIS workshop in UNIDATA training workshops, June 22-27, 1997. Boulder, Colorado.
- NCGIA-I21 workshop on Formalizing Common Sense Geographic Worlds sponsored by NSF. October 30 - November 3, 1996, San Marcos, Texas.
- NSF Varenius specialist meeting on Cognitive Models of Dynamic Geographic Phenomena and Representations. 29-31 October 1998. Pittsburgh, PA.
- USGS/LASULGC workshop on Future Science Directions of the U.S. Geological Survey: Opportunities for a Federal-University Partnership in the Natural Sciences. 5-6 June 2000. Washington, D.C.
Ad Hoc Reviews, Panels or committees
- External examiner for M.Sc. in Geoinformation Science (2012-2014), the Chinese University of Hong Kong, Graduate School.
- External reviewer for USGS Strategy for Core Science Systems. September 2011.
- Tenure and promotion reviews for faculty at Penn State University (1), University of Nebraska at Lincoln (1), University of Missouri (1), University of Southern California (1), State University of New York at Buffalo (1), University of California at Santa Barbara (2), Louisiana State University (1), and National Science Council in Taiwan (2). Since 2005.
- External reviewer for the Department of Geography, University of Texas - Austin. October 2010.
- DHS Scientific Leadership Awards for Minority Serving Institutions Proposal Review, September 16-17, 2009. Washington, DC
- External reviewer for NSF National Historical GIS Project, University of Minnesota. (2002-2004)
- DHS Southeast Region Research Initiative Review, September 2-3, 2009, Oak Ridge, TN.
- NSF Information and Intelligence Systems Review Panel (2009)
- Member, Research Management Committee of the GEOIDE Network (Canadian Centers of Excellence Network of Geomatics for Informed Decision) (2008-2009).
- EPA NCER Review Panel (2007)
- NSF Information and Intelligent Systems Review Panel (2007)
- Advisory Board, Encyclopedia of Geoinformatics. Editor H. Karimi. To be published by Idea Group, Inc (2006)
- NSF IGERT Preproposal Review Panel (2006)
- EPA STAR Fellowship Review Panel (2006)
- Member of OU Faculty Development Grant committee (2005)
- NSF Geography Doctoral Dissertation Research Proposal Reviews (2002-2005)
- Member of OU Research Council (2002-2004)
- NSF Research Experiences for Undergraduates (Sites) Proposal Review (2000-2002)
- NSF Information Technology Research Proposal Review (2000)
- Pre-Med Interview Committee, the University of Oklahoma (since 2002)
Services to professional organizations and the University of Oklahoma
- Board member, Center for Applied Social Science Research, the University of Oklahoma (2005-2008)
- Steering Committee member of Forum for Geosciences Information Technology (2004-2006)
- External reviewer: Tenure and Promotion of faculty: 2 in 2005, 2 in 2006, 3 in 2007; Promotion of a senior scientist at Naval Research Laboratory, Maine Geosciences Divisions, Department of the Navy (2004)
- Faculty Senate, the University of Oklahoma (2003-2004)
- Instructor to All-TA training program, the University of Oklahoma (2003-2004)
- Secretary of University Consortium for Geographic Information Science (2003-2004)
- Director of Center for Spatial Analysis, University of Oklahoma (since 2001)
- Chair of the GIS specialty group of the American Association of Geographers (2002)
- Vice chair of the GIS specialty group of the American Association of Geographers (2001)
- Team Member of Extensions to Geographic Representation University Consortium for Geographic Information Science (UCGIS), Team leader: Dr. D. Peuquet. (1998)
- Coordinator and Delegate, University Consortium for Geographic Information Science (UCGIS) at the University of Oklahoma (since 1997)
AWARDS ANDS RECOGNITIONS
- Brandt Professor. The University of Oklahoma (since 2008)
- Kinney Gaylord Presidential Professorship. The University of Oklahoma (since 2001)
- International Young Scholar in Geographic Information Science. National Science Foundation and European Science Foundation (1995)
- First Place, Student Paper Competition conducted by GIS Specialty Group of the Association of American Geographers for papers presented at the 1994 annual meeting of the Association. The paper presented was entitled Knowledge acquisition for building wildfire representation in geographic information systems.
MA: Stephen Dumolt, Josephine Adams, Williams Tanksley, Jason Foreman, Shannon Kuhn, Chad Hall, David Slayter, Karla Sterling, George Standridge, Dustin Howard, Melissa Scott, Christopher Suttle, Darrel Kingfield, Peter Camili, Jeremy Anadrakes
Ph.D.: John McIntosh, Mang Lung Cheuk, James Bothwell
MA: Alexandria McCombs, Jason Redden, Matthew Moore, Nicole Grams, Grant DeLozier, Amber Cannon
Ph.D.: Chih-Yu Lai, Ying Zhang, Darrell Kingfield, Soeng Nam Hwang